Monday, November 06, 2006

Merry-Go-Round



We had another house showing this morning at 9:30 AM. What's a homeschooling mother to do? I rushed breakfast so that I could get to clean-up in time. Oh, the house was spotless the night before--I had made sure to do as much as possible--but five tornados can do a lot of damage in an hour. Toys in stairs, toothpaste all over vanity, unflushed toilets...you get the picture.

So, as I'm running about and shouting to the boys "Do this," "Do that," "Hurry," I run across Jacob in his room. There is a huge pile of shirts on his bed, still on the hangers. There are folded pants on top of these and stuffed animals on top of those. Jacob is in a panic adding more to his pile. "What's going on here?" I ask, "What are you doing?"

"I don't want to leave it here," Jacob sobs and I realize what he's doing; he's packing! Poor little Jacob! In all the chaos and confusion, I had not taken the time to explain to the children what was happening. As far as they knew, we had an agreement with someone and we were not going to do any more house showings. This must be the move, Jacob reasoned. Poor little Jacob!

I tried to explain it to him. I don't know how much he understood, but he did see that we were coming home in an hour or so, that he didn't need to pack all he owned, and that's all that mattered to him.

Where did we go? To the mall. Yep, we completed a morning of school work at a table in the food court of the mall. There were many elderly onlookers and I could write a post or two about what they had to say, but not tonight.

The boys loved it! I mean, it's not everyday you get to ride on a merry-go-round after finishing your math, handwriting, and phonics. I have to say, too, they were good. Very good.

But can I say--might I complain--it wiped me out. I was so tired after. It didn't help either that we had another showing at 5:00. "Where are we going to go?" the boys wanted to know as we left the house for the second time. "We want to go to the mall again!"

Oh no, I think I'm going to hear about this for a while. They won't be satisfied to work at the dining room table anymore. They've seen a bigger, better world!

It's nice to know they're having a grand old time when, personally, I'd like to get off this merry-go-round.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You simply must write about what the elders had to say.....inqiring minds want to know! Merry-Go-Round math - what could be more fun??? :) I hope and pray your house sells very soon!

Anonymous said...

School at the mall - my boys would LOVE that!
St. Joseph is praying with me for your home to sell.

CMW said...

Wow! Poor kiddo! It broke my heart to read about little Jacob. We forget that even ordinary things (like house showings and moving) can seem so scary and confusing through the eyes of a child.

My in-laws were having a hard time selling a house once and they were talking about all the prayers to St. Joseph and how he just wasn't doing anything for them it seemed. My MIL decided she was done praying directly to St. Joseph! Instead, she was sending all of her requests to St. Anne- because nobody knows how to nag like a mother in law!

Mary Poppins NOT said...

We sold a house when I had five little ones and was trying to homeschool. Gives me a stomach ache to remember.

One day we got a call that an interested party just drove by the house and wanted to see it NOW. I said, "Well, give me 10 minute, and I'll see what I can do."

It was somewhat presentable, but not perfect.

We got an offer that night.

I'll keep you in prayer!

Jennifer said...

It sounds like you turned a stressful situation into a great afternoon. I pray you get things settled soon - that sounds so stressful!

Jill said...

One of the great 'side effects' of this stressful was that you got to be a 'witness' of sorts in public. You showed the lunch crowd (and a couple of old men!) what a blessing it is to be a Catholic mother with quite a few kids...and homeschooling them to boot! The world needs to see great examples of family values in action.
By the way, I love your blog, and it's so kind of you to reply to comments when you have a chance.
You have been a great blessing to me.

Anonymous said...

Poor little Jacob! It's so hard to homeschool and also be ready for house showings. When we were doing it, I kept reminding myself that God would send the right family for our house ... one that understood how families lived. Hang in there!

nutmeg said...

Oh, I feel the pain of selling whilst homeschooling. We tried two years in a row, until I threw in the towel.

But, hope springs eternal, and DH is getting ready to put us(ME) on the market come Springtime.

Lots of prayers headed your way!

Suzanne Temple said...

I may post what they had to say, yet, cheryl. Thank you for your prayers.

And thank you, Kristen (yesterthoughts) for yours.

c.m.w, I agree. It is so hard to remember to see everything from their perspective.

Thank you, m.p.n. for your prayers and the reminder that others have done this sucessfully!

Thanks, jennifer, for helping me look on the bright side, and thank you, jill,for doing the same and also for your kind compliments. Very encouraging.

yes, Karen E. I pray for that very thing! The right family to buy our house.

Thank you, nutmeg, I guess you know how it is.

Jen said...

Having recently sold a house three months ago, and having three kids five and under, I totally understand your pain and stress. But what an awesome idea to take them to the mall and school. What a witness you were! I think it's great.

Soon, you'll have your house sold, be in a new one, and this will all be a distant memory. A prayer for you that you get some much needed rest.

Jen

Suzanne Temple said...

Thank you, jen!

Alice said...

Oh, Suzanne, I lived through this with five children just three years ago. It is so difficult to keep the house presentable and keep the kids out of it for showings!

Great post, as always. I'm glad you gave your children a fun day--this is typical of you!

Praying the house sells quickly.