Sunday, November 12, 2006

Exercising Vocabulary

Our little Zachary loves words. He is, by far, the most verbal of all our children yet. He has an extensive vocabulary for a two year old and he's always looking to increase it.

Sometimes with happy results...

The other day he heard a new word and wanted to learn its meaning, "What's gorgeous, Mama?" he asked. "Mama's gorgeous," I answered (really, how could I resist?) "Well, it means beautiful," I explained. "Kay," Zachary agreed, "Mama's gorgeous." Now it's one of his favorite words to describe me.

Sometimes with less happy results...

Last night, as I typed, Zachary climbed up on my lap. He looked over the landscape of my desk. "It's messy," he said. It was true. Since the anxious cleaning for house showings has ended, I have let things go around here. And by "let things go" I mean I haven't been anxiously cleaning. "It's despicable," Zachary pronounced with clarity. Yeesh. I hadn't thought it was that bad.

This morning I asked Simeon, "Do you know where Zachary might have gotten the word, despicable?"

"Yea," Simeon explained, "That would be from Daffy Duck."

Uh-hu. I oughta roast that bird!

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You are gorgeous, Suzanne. The "about " picture proves it. Zachary's a smart boy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Suzanne. Your postings keep me updated on my grandsons.
Mom T

Anonymous said...

ROFL. Oh too funny. Despicable. Ha ha ha.

Jen said...

LOL! That was too funny...your kids sound like a blast...

Jen

Alice said...

LOL! I'm surprised he didn't say "dethpicable"!

Suzanne Temple said...

You're gorgeous elizabeth, I remember a beautiful picture of you in the ninth month of pregnancy! By that time, I look like a baked potato.

Hi mom! I'm so glad you liked it.

Thanks for visiting, goslyn.

Thank you, jen and alice. I think he got the proper pronunciation by asking Simeon.

Erin said...

Your two year old has a bigger vocabulary than most of my 11th graders. That's pretty impressive. Or disturbing.

Sharon said...

Tell Zachary to come to MY house, Suzanne.
I'll show HIM despicable!!

Rebecca said...

LOL! Zachary is so clever! I agree with him...you are gorgeous!

Lucy said...

At our house, Lee (now age 7) just loves new words, especially long ones that can roll around on his tongue for awhile. I shudder to remember the day my mother taught him "suspicious" (he was about 4). I heard nothing but "Hmmmmmm. THAT'S suspicious!" for days on end!

Suzanne Temple said...

Highly suspicious, lucy, highly suspicious. Hmmm.