Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Coffee With the Saints

Yesterday evening, I had the pleasure of finding ,in a friendly acquaintance, a new friend. She and I belong to the same home educator's group and so I have seen her many times and have always enjoyed her company, but all our gatherings have been centered around the children and their activities. Last night, it was just the two of us mothers out for coffee. For me, this is a rare treat.

We talked about a great many things and I could have talked with her forever and not seen the time go by and I very nearly did. It wasn't so much that our backgrounds or even current circumstances were so similar; in fact, it was the differences that amazed me.

We couldn't have had less similar childhoods or upbringings. The story of her conversion, too, was so beautiful to hear, but it isn't my own experience-- cradle Catholic that I am. Even with all the similarities we have today there are still some differences; she is the mother of a beautiful bunch of girls and, as you know, I am the mother of all boys.

So how is it that we could finish one another's sentences? Why is it that the things that matter most to her are the things that matter most to me? Why do we have the same struggles, the same hardships, the same outlook, the same joys? In short, how did two women from such different backgrounds become so similar that they could be sisters?

It is because we are sisters. We are sisters in faith. We were both born again in the same water of the same baptism, by the same Spirit, and to the same Father. The Church is our Mother. With the same Father and the same Mother, we are not full-blooded, but "full-spirited" sisters. What a joy it was to see that so clearly and to be reminded that it is a very big family to which we belong.

People from all backgrounds, from all over the globe, and throughout all time belong to this family. I imagine in Heaven when we meet (God willing) St Theresa, St Elizabeth, St Joan of Arc, etc., it will be a very similar experience to the one I had last night. We will sit down with these familiar saints and discover to our great delight, in a new way and despite all the differences, just how much we have in common.

A special "thank you" to our husbands for taking over the household duties after a long day of work so that we could do this.

Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come. --Mark 10:29-30

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely. I'm glad you had a nice moms' night out.

Alice said...

"It is because we are sisters. We are sisters in faith. We were both born again in the same water of the same baptism, by the same Spirit, and to the same Father."

How wonderful, Suzanne, and how very, very true. You have really expressed an unspoken thought I've had for quite some time, not only about "in real life" friends, but also the wonderful holy women I've met through our blogs, 4Real, and CCM (especially yourself).

BTW, whenever I see photos of St. Gianna Molla, I always wish I could sit down and have a cup of coffee with her. Doesn't she look as if she would make a great friend?

Alice said...

"It is because we are sisters. We are sisters in faith. We were both born again in the same water of the same baptism, by the same Spirit, and to the same Father."

How wonderful, Suzanne, and how very, very true. You have really expressed an unspoken thought I've had for quite some time, not only about "in real life" friends, but also the wonderful holy women I've met through our blogs, 4Real, and CCM (especially yourself).

BTW, whenever I see photos of St. Gianna Molla, I always wish I could sit down and have a cup of coffee with her. Doesn't she look as if she would make a great friend?

Suzanne Temple said...

Yes, alice, your points are all true. I also feel a family bond with so people whose blogs I read and certainly with you!

I know what you mean, also, about St Gianna. I love that we have photos of her and other saints. It seemed when I was little, all the saints were icons or drawings. Photos are so much better! You can see holiness in the lines of Mother Teresa'a face, for example. It is so clear in the photos, but it is difficult to capture that in art.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written, Suzanne and yes, Alice, St. Gianna Molla does look like she would make a wonderful friend. :)

Kristen said...

Beautiful, Suzanne. Alice, I too dream of meeting St. Gianna one day, along with St. Joseph, the two saints who've interceded for us most as a family.

Anonymous said...

St. Francis de Sales speaks about real friendship in his Intro to the Devout Life. I call them "friends of the heart."

In any case (and I hope you don't mind) I consider you to be one!

Lovely post.

Suzanne Temple said...

I hope there is some place in heaven big enough for ALL of us to sit comfortably and speak to everyone!

MinM, Mind? Most certainly not. I'm flattered!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
earthie said...

So true!!! I love that- that's why we have the "wretches" :) When you're "in this thing" together, you know it- but it's also such a human gift, and not automatic. Gotta love the Holy Spirit. Thanks for sharing that.

Suzanne Temple said...

Exactly, earthie.