Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Paycheck For Motherhood

Yesterday must have been pay day because...

The day before yesterday was the crazy juggling of a trip to the library, a doctor's appointment for me, and frantic cleaning followed by an extended showing of the house. In the chaos, Alex's schoolwork slipped through the cracks, or so I had thought.

Yesterday morning...

when I got out Alex's schoolwork, I found the lessons all completed. Perfectly. I discovered, to my amazement, that Simeon had helped Alex through his work after he had finished his own while I was at my doctor's appointment and Jeremy worked in the next room.

Yesterday afternoon...

I witnessed, unseen, Nicholas (1) tripping and hurting himself. He picked himself up and went to Simeon(8) for comfort. Simeon hugged his little brother and told him he'd be Ok. Nicholas drank it all in and then, comforted, went off to play again.

And yesterday evening...

when I returned home from a short run, Zachary(2) followed me up the stairs. He rubbed my leg as he followed behind saying, "I love you Mama." I turned and bent down to look him in the eye. "I love you, Mama," he said again and then, "You are sooo cute." My heart melted on the spot.

Let me assure you, whole days like this are few and far between. So I'm collecting my pay and saving more than half for a rainy day that is sure to come.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

What sweet boys! How perfectly wonderful. You are blessed indeed!

jerseygirlmama said...

How sweet! I can't wait until Shelby is big enough to say "I love you Mama." Of course she is a fat, lovable, very kissable 3 month old now, so that too has its benefits. I melted just hearing about your boys though...it must be one of those sympathetic mother-to-mother meltings! Thank God for little boys!

Suzanne Temple said...

Thanks, Melissa and jerseygirl.

Alice said...

What wonderful, wonderful boys!

I love these moments!

Jen said...

Beautiful. :-)

Jen

Anonymous said...

I'm gasping in shock over the schoolwork...how awesome!

Brotherly love is so very wonderful to witness...what great moments to remember.

CMW said...

Your pay day must have rubbed off. I made something new for dinner last night that all three older children loved (the toddler didn't like it because he is 2 and doesn't like anything right now). My oldest son said that if there was a cooking contest and he was a judge he would give my dinner first prize! High praise from that 8 year old. The first thing I thought was, "Better save more than half for a rainy day!" Thanks for the reminder.

Suzanne Temple said...

That's great, cmw, what was it? I'm always looking for winning recipes. You could email it to me if you wish. I linked an address to this site.