Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Age of Reason


This was a good read tonight. I remember this from my own childhood. These five brothers live with their mother in a little house not far from the sea. Each of the brothers has a superhuman ability. One can swallow the sea; another has an iron neck; the third can stretch his legs forever; the fourth cannot be burned; and the fifth can hold his breath indefinitely.

When I read the closing line, "And the Five Chinese Brothers and their mother all lived together happily for many years" Simeon asked, "What was their mother's super-power?"

"She was able to have five sons." I said matter-of-factly.

"But you have five sons." Simeon objected.

"Didn't you know I'm a superhero?" I asked. Simeon (8) looked skeptical, but

"Wow!" Alex(5) and Jacob(4) were genuinely impressed.

Sometimes I think I'd like them all to stay, forever, below the age of reason.

But that's only when we're minutes away from bedtime.

7 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

You could have a lot of fun with this...

LYL said...

But that's only when we're minutes away from bedtime.

LOL!

Although GK Chesterton did say that a 7 year old gets excited that Tom opens a door to a magical place, but a 3 year old gets excited that Tom opens a door. That's one of the things I love about the under 7s!!

God bless,

Louise

Alice said...

Oh no, I would agree that raising five sons so beautifully could qualify as a superpower.

And I am above the age of reason (hopefully not yet past it--LOL)

Suzanne Temple said...

lyl, I never heard that quote from Chesterton. It's wonderful! And very, very true.

Thank you, Alice.

Mary Poppins NOT said...

But that's only when we're minutes away from bedtime.

Ain't that the truth!

Lucy said...

Just look forward to the time they realize with all reason and logic that you really ARE a super-hero. Like the moment you volunteer, with grace and charm, to babysit THEIR five small boys!

Suzanne Temple said...

Lucy, I like that. I like it very much.