Sunday, August 27, 2006

When the Curtain Falls

We live in an older home replete with all of New England's charms. There's the cherry tree that blossoms in spring alongside the white picket fence, the window boxes that bloom all summer long, the sunroom with a wall of climbing roses, the built in book shelves, cedar lined closet, and even a nifty safe in the wall of the master bedroom. Hidden beneath all these charms, however, is a mish-mash of building techniques and materials that frustrate us to no end whenever we begin a remodeling project or even basic maintenance and repair.

FOR EXAMPLE: Tonight, when the boys were sent up for their get-in-yer-pajamas-and-brush-yer-teeth after dinner routine we heard a crash. A loud crash. A very loud crash. "What was that?" we asked, and the answer came: the shower curtain rod.

Now this is interesting because, you see, just a few months back I had decided to replace that rod. Over the years previous owners had painted and repainted the bathroom and patched the plaster around the rod's hardware in a rather unsightly way. So, a few months back when I was repainting I thought I might as well replace the whole thing. I did not replace it, however, because... I COULD NOT GET IT DOWN. I tried all sorts of things to get it down, but none of them worked. I should have tried wrapping the shower curtain around my neck like a cape and then falling backwards with all of my bodyweight, because apparently that is what worked for my oldest son, Simeon. The hardware broke, the shower rod came down, and the curtain came with it.


REPLACING THE SHOWER ROD: Now here's where the story gets really interesting. While searching online to find a replacement rod I learned a great many things. You see, this is no ordinary shower curtain rod, as no part of this house is ordinary. It is a special "Neo Angle" shower curtain rod absolutely required for our special bathroom and our special blue, square, tub (don't ask). I learned all this just tonight and I also learned that these rods cost anywhere from $100.00-$200.00. I didn't know a shower rod could cost that much. I learn something new every day. This is all very interesting.

1 comment:

Alice Gunther said...

Oh, Suzanne, it is so much fun to go back and read this very first post! The bit about putting on the shower curtain as a cape and falling backwards has me laughing out loud. In an I-hear-you-sister sorta way!